Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Utah! What a great place to NOT be!

It has been a little over two weeks since I moved out of Utah, and I couldn't be happier. Do I miss some people? Yes, but I would rather be missing those people then in that state, and this is all coming from a Mormon. Utah has 5 things better than any other place in the world... Drew, Koa, Noah, Buggy, and Isaiah, and they will make it so I go visit (and the rest of my family and friends too ;)).

Here are the top ten reasons why I am glad to have finally ditched the Beehive state.

10- Movies! I will no longer have to wait an extra month to see movies like Milk (this came out in theaters in Logan one week before it came out on dvd, and I am being 100% honest), or be completely censored from movies like The Kids are Alright, and Rabbit Hole (I don't understand this one, but whatever).  I will also no longer have to worry about seeing these movies within the week because that is about how long their theater life lasts. Shake your head at these R rated movies all you want, but at least they teach you something about history, or the lives of people with different cultures.

9- The news is dedicated to only two universities. I am so happy to no longer be hearing about the one true school every second of the day.

8- While I have not yet completely acquainted myself with the Colorado legislator, I know they are not going to be nearly as ridiculous as Utah. There are too many crazy laws to post, but I will link you to the most recent one. Yeah, they are talking about repealing this, but you do realize it is the same people that passed it that are now doing that. They got caught doing something shady, and are now pretending like they didn't realize it was shady. Very strange!  Luckily, from Denver I can just laugh about this.

7- Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin supporters. There are much less here, need I say more?

6- Sports! There are actually more professional teams than just basketball out here. That makes me so incredibly happy. Pro Sports go year round in Denver! I hate all their teams, but at least I can watch live games, and I will be able to cheer against them very loudly. Here's to a summer filled with baseball (Dan will love that)!

5-  Weather. It snowed yesterday in Utah. It was 70 degrees here, but it might have snowed in the mountains (exactly where snow belongs).

4- Pyramid Schemes/ Summer Sales, this topic is worthy of a whole blog.

3- The homophobia. I don't think this is something that I should get into, but people aren't that good at loving others especially if those others love someone with the same privates as them.

2- Mexicans, and by Mexicans I mean everyone hating Mexicans. I don't know why people think it is funny to say, "but are you legal?" after I say, "I am Mexican." It isn't funny. It is rude, and incredibly racist. I could say so much more, but I might get very ornery, and both Chaz and Dan would hate that.

1- The culture! Pretty much 2-10 combined with an extra dose of judgementalness (not a word, but I am pulling a Colbert). People tend to put themselves on a pedal-stool if they fit into a certain mold, and forget that we are all equals, no matter what you believe.

I promise you that I don't miss Utah. A select few people, but no not Utah.

PS I have so much time on my hand that I might be blogging daily until I find a job.

11 comments:

Erin said...

Yes!! I love it! I haven't really blogged in a while...until my most recent and sort of bitchy post. Ay mi madre. I sometimes hate that people know who I am. But whatevs. I love your blog. And I'm not a fan of Utah either (beside the fact that it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I'll miss that part).

Alexis Lopez said...

Yeah, I guess I do miss those majestic mountains a little. Welp, I will change your link on my blog to not your name in case you go back to being anonymous.

KaraSorensen said...

Lexy, you are being very judgmental against Utahans. I don't appreciate it. Just because you moved to Denver two weeks ago doesn't mean you are suddenly sooo much cooler than us people back in Utah. I am just saying;) You know i love you though lex. Come back and visit real soon. The beehive state will always have a place for you.

rye said...

Hey Alexis :) Wanted to ask you if you've ever lived in downtown Salt Lake? If all you know are Logan and South Weber, then you can't really compare all of Utah to those two places. If you're basing your Utah experience with your time in Logan, then I think you should be comparing..say Greeley CO as that might be more of a fair match-up.

Maybe you have lived in SLC, and if so my point is moot. :P I've lived in Logan, Orem, Layton/South Weber and Salt Lake; and though true I'm not a huge fan of the first three--there is no place like Salt Lake. I'm living in San Diego now, and I can tell you I much prefer SLC over SD. There's just something about SLC, maybe it's because it's a mecca for the liberals like us! It could be that it's just fun to feel like the rebels of the state! lol

I get a kick out of your posts though, keep posting! :)

Alexis Lopez said...

Kara, don't worry this blog isn't about you, or any of our friends. I don't think I am cooler. I have always wanted out, and have always expressed my dissatisfaction in the state. My moving didn't change anything. I will be visiting often.

Rye, I have never lived in downtown SL, but have worked there, and I did meet a lot of really cool people aka Liberals. I would agree that a few of my points don't work for Salt Lake, but I think they all work for the state as a whole. The majority of my friends in Logan were actually very liberal. I am not denying the fact that there are cool people in Utah, and people that I agree with, but there still are not enough to bring any change in the state. The state is still bright bright red unlike Colorado which can go either way. I am actually living in Douglas County (one of the most conservative places), but there is still a different feel. State to state, I would still pick Colorado even with my limited knowledge of the entire state.

Thanks for reading!

Megan said...

DUDE. I feel ya. On all of these, really. except really 6 and 7 but only cause I don't pay attention to utah sports and utah legislation.

Also, I really want to see a post on summer sales.

Megan said...

i meant to say except 6 and 8. I also hate glenn beck.

Alexis Lopez said...

Meg- I am glad you also hate Glenn Beck, and I guess it is okay that you don't pay attention to sports. I think a post on summer sales will come. I have way too much time on my hands.

annie grace said...

Lex- I love this! and I love your blog! I agree with you 110% and I am very, very jealous of you right now. 1 more year and I am out of here!!! Logan is KILLING ME!
So glad that you are loving Denver, what a great place to live!
MISS YOU!!!!

Shina said...

I love this post Lex:)

Erin said...

Ew...Glen Beck...