Friday, May 28, 2010

Day 17

Holy cow, I can't believe I have spent 17 days in Europe. It has gone by incredibly fast. I think I have 46 days total so 29 more, woot! 

I went to the louvre in Paris. I went with an American couple from Oregon. It was fun. I mention them because they were cool and they said I reminded them of Tina fey, and that makes them extra cool and blog-worthy.  Yes, I saw the Mona Lisa, it was pretty small and definitely not the most exciting or interesting piece of art that I saw. Actually the painting on the wall directly opposite of it is HUGE and quite amazing. We looked at a lot of paintings and the Egyptian exhibit. I saw a literal mummy. It was crazy to think that there was a literal body from thousands of years ago wrapped up in front of me, but there was! After 5+ hours in the lourve we probably saw 10% or less of it. It is huge (look up an arial view right now, I will wait...see, it is enormous!). Afterwards we went and got drinks and then parted ways and went back to our places. That much time at a museum takes it out of you.  

Day 18

I slept in til 10:15, and it felt great! I missed the hostels free breakfast aka cereal with warm milk and a roll. I think the extra sleep was worth it!

Afterwards I slowly got ready for the day and then went to Notre Dame and Saint Chapelle with the same couple from the louvre. It was fun and seeing all the stain glass is really beautiful. It is cool to see these old buildings because they spent hundreds of years building them. I like the stain glass because it tells stories from the bible and it is fun to figure out all the symbolism. The statues around notre dame are also stories. It is really interesting. Afterwards we went to dinner and then got a gelato. They were planning on the effiel tower so we parted ways. I went and got a picture with the moulin rouge because I love the movie, and then headed back to my hostel and packed all up. I leave for Berne, Switzerland in the morning. 

They speak some sort of German there and also Italian, and French in some parts. I will be in the touristy spots so I should be able to get by with English. I have been able to in France even though the French people seem to hate English haha but I become an annoying american who just speaks English because I don't know a lick of french and don't have a phrase book. I didn't want to bring like 10 phrase books so I just brought myself and my lack of knowledge of other languages haha.

3 annoying things about Europe!

3-people smoke so much here! I can hardly breath. France is by far the worse with Dublin close behind. 

2-everything is more expensive

1-they don't sell mt dew or good candy anywhere. 

3 fantasitc things about Europe. 

3- the diversity is amazing. I love how there are literally people from all over and so many different languages. 

2-they kick butt at public transportation

1- the lack of fast food restaurants. It is nice to eat in just nice little cafes or restaurants and not greasy gross food. I know all American food isn't gross but we lack in the healthy quick food unlike Europe. Also orange fanta and cadbary chocolate bars are everywhere you go and they have become my substitute soda and candy for mt dew and wonks candy. 

No comments: