Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day two in London

Hey! Yesterday I wandered around Leicester square and saw Big Ben, the London eye, and an art museum. I also saw parliment because the prime minister is resigning there are a lot of news people around there and this one sidewalk was way crowded because there was some press conference inside these gates. I stood around for a while and took pictures but nothing reslly interesting happened. There was also some anti-war protest in a park by big Ben. There were about 25 tents pitched and all these signs around them. What is weird though is that i didn't really see any people  
After I went and saw avenue q because leichester square is like the broadway of Europe. I think it is the second largest theater district in the world. Wicked is playing out here but I didn't think it would be the same with an English accent. I guess avenue q is supposed to be set in NY so that was a weird choice but they were faking ny accents slash American accents so it was fun.  
I don't know if it is just me but London air has a distinct smell and taste. Maybe it is because of the volcano. Who knows! 
Also I have been mistaken for a local three times. Twice by actual locals. It makes me happy because I swear you can recognize an American from a mile away. It is weird to hear my voice. I sound so American so I try to be quiet so I dont stand out.  
My hostel is alright. It isn't the nicest one that I am staying in but it is secure and has a great location. The tube is right across the street.
Yay.

Today the eastbound tube lines ares hut down because I think someone got on the tracks. I don't know what I am going to do now but I will probably just wander around hammersmith or sleep because I am beat.

Also the showers in this hostel are crazy but that is a story for another day.

Update on challenge!
5 good things about my day in the airport/ on an airplane.
5- I got to be in Chicago! I live that city. I didn't get to visit it but seeing blackhawks, cubs, and bulls merchandise made me remember the wonderful city of Chicago. I also loved not seeing white sox merchandise
4- when we arrived in Chicago my flight attendant made fun on all the cubs fans by saying, " welcome to Chicago home of the 1908 world series champions the Chicago cubs!" it was pretty funny
3- helping the married couple with the newborn on the plane. I had an aisle seat but ended up sitting in the very middle of the plane aka 2 people on both sides of me then the aisle then two more people.
2- having babies on the right and behind me but both didn't make a sound through the night.
1- because of the long layover I was able to talk to my mom and Dan before I really left.

Alright love you all!
Alexs

3 comments:

Alex and Sam said...

I hope you are having so much fun! Be safe!

dhilk3785 said...

Oh man, you had to give up your aisle seat for the long flight?? I'm sorry! But... that was about as good of a deed as anyone could do!

Larry told me he did an internship in London in 1985 where he worked with a lawyer defending some hippies (they were called TeePee people) that had set up camp in a park and the government tried to kick them out.

He also said that they ran around naked all the time and that the lawyer he worked with was about to do it too and Larry said "you realize what will happen if this gets out right?" and that man has been forever grateful to Larry for stopping him. Even had him over for a BBQ in 98 when he and my Mom went there with Ken and Kris.

I just found out that story yesterday!

Dirty South said...

Sounds exciting already!! I can't wait to hear the rest! Love ya!

Whit Kap